Friday, June 10, 2011

If The Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me

Returning phone calls has never been one of my strong suits.  In fact, I'm really, really terrible at it.  I always get caught up in something else and forget until days later, when it's too late to call back because whatever the message was about is a moot point anyway.  I say this in the interest of full disclosure, because what I'm about to say makes me seem like a bit of a hypocrite.  It wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of that, but whatever.  Just go with me on this.

In the last month, I've been on two interviews for large law firms in the downtown area.  These firms are by no means Mickey Mouse operations.  They're big, sleek and wealthy.  The first interview I went on, I couldn't get a read on the interviewers.  It was short and to the point.  I answered all their questions in the manner I knew they would want them answered (which isn't to say I lied about anything because I didn't).  I was ushered out pretty unceremoniously and told they'd be in touch.  I had a feeling that was the kiss of death.  The following week I gave my contact in their human resources department a call, and he said that they were still interviewing candidates, but that I was a contender.  He gave me a time frame to call back to follow up and I did.  Not only could I not get him to pick up his phone, he never returned my calls either. 

The second firm I interviewed for was much different.  The interviewer took her time, explained the position and the firm thoroughly and answered my questions.  The interview took over an hour, and when I was leaving she told me that she would definitely be in touch late the next week.  I left feeling really good about how things went.  I contacted HR late the next week, to be told that candidates were still being interviewed and to check back the following week.  I was starting to get a sense of deja vu.  When I emailed HR again, I got no response. 

Before I complain, I have to acknowledge how lucky I was to even get interviews.  It means they thought I was qualified and wanted to see how I could work out.  I'm sure there are other job seekers out there who are more qualified than me, considering I'm still working on my paralegal degree.  I was grateful for the interviews and it definitely made me feel better about my prospects.  Having said all that, I'm utterly pissed and dumbfounded that neither of these places had the decency to call, email or send a letter saying that someone else got the job.  I don't take things like that personally and would have welcomed the closure of knowing that I didn't get the position.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  In my humble opinion, it's very unprofessional to just leave people hanging.  I mean, yeah I got the hint... But this isn't a junior high break up.  There's no need to be a pussy, just make the call.

I'm still searching, and although the actions (or non-actions, really) of those two firms was a little disheartening, I'm not getting all down in the dumps.  This kind of thing takes time.  And if anything, I've got plenty of that.  In the meantime, I'm tossing around the idea of going back to work at a cosmetics counter.  I did that in my early 20's, and it wasn't terrible.  The money was pretty decent and the discount was great.  We shall see.  I'm trying to stay focused on the positives.  I love where I'm living.  I have a great boyfriend.  I'm healthy.  The rest will fall into place, I'm certain of it.

*Today's title is from Jimmy Buffet's song of the same name.  Parrotthead forever :)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment